The concept that emotions are fundamental to identity is the basis for the therapeutic approach known as emotion-focused therapy (EFT). Emotions, in accordance with EFT, can also act as a guide for making decisions on a personal level. This kind of therapy assumes that not being emotionally aware or repressing negative emotions can be harmful. We may be unable to use the important information that emotions provide as a result. Therapists that have received EFT training can help clients with a range of problems. These therapists could help their patients become more aware of their emotions. EFT also helps people become better at using the information that adaptive emotions provide in terms of data. People may be less harmed by maladaptive emotions and may be better able to handle them. To learn more about Emotion Focused Therapy, seek consultation from the Good Psychiatrist near me at TalktoAngel.
Leslie Greenberg played a key role in the creation of EFT. It is a humanistic kind of therapy intended to support individuals in accepting, controlling, comprehending, and expressing their emotions. Greenberg did not actively go out to create the strategy. Instead, he looked into how people develop. The development of the treatment lasted for almost three decades. The initial resources in this area were released in 1979.
EFT is a scientifically supported method that incorporates Gestalt, person-centred, and cognitive behavioural therapy concepts. It also contains elements of Piaget’s research on problem-solving techniques. EFT also makes use of interactional systemic concepts when treating a marriage.
This method of therapy involves an active process between the therapist and the client. Both are thought to have contributed equally. It is thought that the patient, not the therapist, is better equipped to comprehend their emotional experience. Emotions should be used as a guide to lead meaningful, healthy lives, according to the theory behind EFT. Its hypothesis is supported by scientific studies into the impact of emotions on people. Knowledge of: is one of the outcomes of scientific research on human emotion.
- How feelings are created
- The significance of feelings to human behaviour
- How emotions influence behaviour and ideas.
Two essential abilities are often the focus of EFT sessions. Which are getting to one’s emotions by becoming more conscious of and accepting them.
- To avoid hazardous or unpleasant behaviours or other impacts of specific emotions, one should learn to modify their emotions and better utilise the knowledge they bring.
This method’s therapists approach listening and questioning with compassion, objectivity, and reflection. This enables the therapy patient to comprehend their feelings better. Then, a range of therapeutic strategies referred to as emotion coaching is used. These aid in teaching people new techniques for using positive emotions to direct their behaviour. Emotional counselling may further aid individuals in transforming and overcoming difficult emotions.
The goal of the first treatment sessions is to assist clients in experiencing emotions. Each session frequently has one or more of the aforementioned objectives:
- Increase your emotional sensitivity
- Learn to accept, permit, and control your emotions.
- Increase awareness of the many facets of emotional experiences and develop the ability to recognise the most immediate response by learning to express emotions clearly and in detail.
The treatment’s next stage concentrates on leaving. It might have the following objectives:
- Determine whether certain situations call for the use of emotions or not.
- Learn to use positive feelings as a cue to act.
- Determine the cause of any negative emotions.
- Learn to control your negative emotions
- Create new, healthy coping mechanisms for circumstances that frequently cause unhelpful feelings.
- Create internal scripts to counteract any negative ideas that may be triggered by unhelpful or maladaptive emotions.
Some psychological conditions, including panic attacks or problems with impulse control, might be characterised as exaggerated reactions to one’s inner experience. These components of experience could be bodily sensations, thoughts, or feelings. EFT enables individuals to become more receptive to their inner experiences. As a result, it is typically not suggested for the treatment of these problems. People must be honest and upfront when using EFT. It aids individuals in taking a sympathetic position toward their own emotional experiences. Therapy can help people be sincerer and more compassionate. However, persons who might purposefully lie to or manipulate the therapist are typically not candidates for this treatment.
For more information, feel free to seek Online Psychiatric Consultation at TalktoAngel.